Saturday, May 24, 2008

What's Next?

I've spoken to several people in the know in my district and am hopeful that I can convince them that our technology needs to be improved (that's the easy part). The question is how to improve our technology and not have it cost the district much money (that's the hard part).

I'm going to begin searching for grants to help pay for funding. I'm hoping that I can post my progress and thoughts here, just to help me keep my sanity.

Some changes could be made simply by loosening the restrictions to websites that are available to the staff. Assigning usernames and passwords to every student in the district could challenging since we have only two people who take care of everything that deals with technology. Our middle school has a tech person (who teaches computers in the classroom) but even she has limited capacities when it comes to making changes. She tells me that she has fought these battles before with some slight progress. I plan to utilize her expertise and previous experiences to help pick and choose the people and battles that lay ahead.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

laanba said...

I'll be interested to see how you incorporate tech into your choral rehearsal. We've had SmartMusic for a few years, but I still haven't really used it to effect with my students. Maybe next year.

ChoirCorner said...

I currently have Finale at one building but haven't used it much because I can't coordinate the midi keyboard to work properly with the notation.

I think the tech part of a rehearsal will come in when I can create podcasts of performances and rehearsal tapes for sections of songs to learn.

I'm currently incorporating wikispaces (see link on the blog) for information and sharing. We're planning a picnic and banquet and people are using the wikispace to make reservations and communicate about who's bringing what to the picnic.

I've also used some streaming videos from YouTube to share info about different groups and performances that have been recorded. I'd LOVE to have the modern music notebooks that allow me to upload music onto the students' notebooks but they run over $3k each, so that's not happening soon.

Right now my struggle is to move our antiquated IT department into the late 20th century (we recently upgraded to Windows 2000). Wish me luck.