Monday, May 5, 2008

Thing 14 Reflection

Podcasting continues to look very appealing, and I can see uses in the music department. Since I teach performance classes (choirs, etc.) I could see using podcasts to make rehearsal tools available to the kids, as well as recordings of concerts, etc.

I can also see other applications that would be very helpful for other subject areas and I really believe "the sky's the limit" in how helpful it could be.

Downfalls? If my classes were not performance based I could see usage quite regularly. If I had a music technology, or composition class we could use podcasting to produce student works (both musical and non-musical). I could envision the class preparing and working with all areas of the school district in creating podcasts for grades K-12, and even for administrative purposes. A program of this scale would require a bigger investment of time and money, both of which are in short supply in our district and my schedule. Ideally the district would have someone on staff to work in this area, perhaps our IT person (who is also short on time). Getting the needed upgrades to our system would require another investment.

I will probably purchase a microphone and download the audacity program and play around with the podcasts during summer break and see what I can do from home and/or with the pcs that we have at school.

No comments: