Sunday, June 1, 2008

Neat Stuff

This wanders away from the 23 Things that have been the focus of this blog so far.

Several years ago a student in my Chorale graduated as Valedictorian at our high school. Her speech spoke of the enjoyment and growth she found in this class/choir, and what an impact the events had had on her life.

This lovely young lady got married this past weekend, and I had the honor of being asked to supply some of the music for the ceremony.

I've always enjoyed watching my students move from middle school through high school, and eventually graduating. Every so often these wonderful men and women return so that our paths cross again. It always touches me to see how they continue to grow, and hopefully not sounding too full of myself, how I'm made some small impact on their lives.

I know it certainly makes the rough times seem miniscule in comparison. I will make it through tomorrow.

2 comments:

laanba said...

That's one of the reasons I love the job that we have. I teach middle school choir and I know I have an advantage over the other teachers in my school because I see them three years. Then we keep in touch with those students that continue with choir in high school.

Today was high school graduation. It was great to watch these kids that I've known since they were 11 get their diplomas and take walk into their new lives.

ChoirCorner said...

Isn't that just one of the great perks of the job?!

Tonight was the high school choir banquet...the usual raw chicken and gummy mac and cheese, but the kids love it. The seniors all get to have their moment at the podium and rarely is there a dry eye in the place.

This year the valedictorian is in my chorale. I can't wait to hear her speak Thursday night!