Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thing 19 Reflection

This is a continuation about del.icio.us bookmark networking. I easily set up the account and installed the icons onto my desktop (I use Firefox most often) and started searching for sites. My first entry was for the tag "choral". Surprisingly there were thousands of sites available. More surprisingly these site links actually worked! (I've always hesitated looking at "Links" on sites simply because most of them don't work anymore.)

After scanning the list I found several that I thought were interesting and visited them. The ones that I didn't care for I left, but saved several. It was good to see the suggested tags available, and I chose many of them, and occasionally added one or two that I thought I'd find more specific. After trying several other searches I quickly found a number of sites that were exactly what I could use and had no clue that there were sites out there in cyberspace, just waiting to be tapped. Within moments I easily had added 13 sites to my list.

I also watched many of the additional videos and learned how to add people to my network, and personalize the privacy for my links and the people on the network I'll create. Importing bookmarks onto the site will also be incredibly easy, but I'm not sure that I'd want all of my home and personal sites online (although the privacy options would keep them from being seen).

I also tried accessing the site from school today, and of course it was blocked? So my question to everyone is: How do we educators get our administrations to see that there are tremendous opportunities out here that our colleagues and students are missing?

No comments: