Tuesday, August 5, 2008

New Opportunities

Today could possibly be the beginning of a new chapter in my life and that of my wife and son, who's still living at home. I'm going on a job interview.

I have a job, actually two of them. My main job is music teacher at a public high school and middle school in Redford, MI. I've been there quite some time and have enjoyed my stay there. I'm also the minister of music at a local Catholic church in town, and have been there longer than at the schools. Again, I'm happy there, although feeling taken for granted and forgotten at times.

In May of 2007 I completed a MSA in Educational Leadership at Madonna University. I believe I want to be a principal, or at least assistant principal, somewhere. Ideally with only a few years to go before retiring I'd like to find a spot up north, and fade peacefully away into the woods and lakes.

After two summers of looking and sending resumes I have finally landed an interview, and yes, it's up north. I've quickly learned that most school districts hire from within, no surprise, and that they are not usually interested in someone from outside of their own district. So the lack of interviews doesn't sting quite so badly.

The key words that come into play now are: "What if..."

What if I do get the offer: will we be able to sell the house, how much money will I make, will it cover the possible lost income of the church job, where will our son live while he's at college, etc. and the list goes on and on. Usually it goes on about 3am while I'm trying to sleep.

We're supposed to go camping next week. "IF" I get called back for a second or third interview should we cancel the trip, or should I bring a suit along and travel down from the UP to get there?

I'll be leaving for this interview in less than an hour. I feel prepared because I know I can do the job; it's a job that I want to take. Is it the right decision, or am I putting the cart before the horse here?

To be continued....

No comments: