Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Thing 2 Reflection

As I mentioned in my previous Reflection I'd like to find new and exciting ways to connect with my students and their families.

How do I feel about putting myself, and my words into cyberspace where anyone can read them? Well, I am a musician/educator so I guess that anytime I perform I'm putting myself and my words out into the universe. The difference here is that in cyberspace these words are going to hang around a lot longer than they would in a concert venue.

The benefits that I can see are that I can preview and edit my comments and questions before I push the "Publish Post" button. Even afterwards I can edit them and elaborate on them and hopefully alleviate any questions or confusion.

On the negative side people don't always interpret the written word with the inflection and tone that the spoken word carries. To me I find it a challenge to choose words carefully, that truly express the "inner" me...sometimes serious, and caring, but at other times witty and sarcastic. Being a teacher of both middle school and high school choir students I've learned how to mold by humor and sarcasm to fit the age, although I am still tempted to purchase a flashing "SARCASM" sign to where over my head. I hope we'll have a "Thing" on eBay shopping...I just know there will be one of those signs for sale there!

2 comments:

RESA 23Things said...

Really good point about how written text does not carry the inflection or intention of spoken text. I think that's the reason for many internet-based squabbles between people, don't you?

ChoirCorner said...

Some of the strangest arguments I've had have been over someone misunderstanding my intended meaning. It's usually something meant to be funny and the person reading takes it for a jab. It's good that the backspace key is larger than some of the other ones!